Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Our Paleo (ish) Thanksgiving Feast!

We've been eating more or less paleo / primal / Weston A. Price around here lately and we didn't want to eat a bunch of stuff we don't normally eat, but we still wanted to have a delicious meal with all of our favorites! Luckily there are ways to adapt many recipes to make them paleo-friendly. Here's our beautiful table right before we dove in.

And here's our gorgeous turkey! I had never roasted a turkey before (though I've roasted plenty of chickens), so this was a new adventure for me. I followed Martha Stewart's recipe for turkey and gravy and it turned out fantastic! I definitely recommend this method of turkey roasting. Our bird was not dried out at all. Instead of traditional stuffing, I stuffed the bird with half and onion, half an apple and a few sprigs of thyme. I also don't truss the bird because it helps it cook faster and the breast doesn't get so dried out.
Along with our turkey we had these coconut flour drop biscuits. They are so yummy!  You seriously won't miss regular biscuits with these.

This is the recipe I used for my cranberry sauce.  Making your own is surprisingly easy.  This stuff is more tart than the canned stuff, but still delicious!
This is not exactly paleo, but way closer than normal pie.  It's my own creation, a pumpkin-pecan pie.  Pumpkin filling with a crumbled pecan topping.  I used this recipe for the pumpkin part (subbing butter for coconut oil in the crust; and I didn't use any coconut milk), and the topping is just butter, crushed pecans, almond flour and a little bit of brown sugar (about 1/6 cup of each almond flour and sugar).  It was SO YUMMY!  I actually prefer this to regular pie.  No, really.

Green beans.  Instead of the usual yuck-of-mushrooms in a can to make a green bean casserole, I just did mine with carmelized onions, mushrooms and tomatoes.  It's not quite the same, but still quite tasty.
Bird fresh out of the oven.  It was cooked perfectly! Hope your holidays were all as good!




No comments:

Google